Advanced FumeFX Workshop: Week 4

Week 4 was really exciting and probably one of my favourite lessons. We were asked to create a Dirt Explosion. We pushed it up a few notches as this was not a simple effect to pull off and there were so many elements that needed to be put together to create the final explosion.

We started off layering the effect, creating the debris and small chunks of rock that gets blown into the air. Then we built up on this by adding multiple particle systems that created the dirt like effect and then loaded up Krakatoa to render out the millions of particles. To add to the dust layers there was also some FumeFx simulations created to add just a little more detail. After rendering out all the necessary elements I then took it into After Effects to composite together.

For my particular effect I added a background image and tried to match my effect seamlessly into it. I feel I did a fairly decent job at it however there are quite a few elements needed to really sell the effect, but there wasn't really enough time to go further than this.